Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Practical Bag

I've been wanting to make myself a new tote bag and I finally got to it.  I was looking for something that I could take on my trip to Paris, that can be packed easily and is not too large.  I used the pattern Practical Bag from Grand Revival.  Fat Quarter Shop sells the pattern.



This is an unstructured bag that does not use batting or interfacing; just the outer fabric and lining fabric.  No zippers or pockets either, so fairly quick and easy.  I made my bag in about 3 hours. I used some vintage light-weight upholstery fabric I had on hand, and a quilt weight cotton for the lining.  (I should have taken a picture of the lining; it is hot pink polka dots.)



I'm very happy with the way it came out and think it just what I need for my trip.  One caution - I'm not sure it is really a good pattern for a beginner because, though relatively easy, the pattern directions are brief.  She tells you what to do but not how to do it.  That is fine if you have some experience with making bags or clothing but an inexperienced sewist could be a bit mystified.


Amy Butler's Style Stitches: 12 Easy Ways to 26 Wonderful Bags

Now that I've finished Practical Bag I feel ready to tackle one of the more complicated patterns in Amy Butler's book.  But that will have to wait until the summer.  In the meantime, I'll test my Practical Bag when I go to the quilt show this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.