Friday, April 29, 2011

Bermuda Breeze - Finished At Last


Finished at last, and named Bermuda Breeze, for one of my favorite vacation spots.  I find the color combination in this quilt so uplifting, it makes me feel happy just to look at it. I need to work more often with a bright color palette.  

I left the top with long-arm quilter Karen Thompson before I went to Paris and picked it up when I returned, but didn't finish the binding until yesterday.  The finished size is 62" by 86" which is about right for a twin bed.  If Miss Main Street plays her cards right, I might let her take this one to college for her dorm room.  In the photo above, she is standing on a stool and trying to stretch out both arms but she is petite and her wingspan is not quite wide enough. 

I collected turquoise and aqua fabrics for several years, with only a vague plan in mind.  When I saw the Picnic Roll-up pattern from Thimbleblossoms, I thought it was just what I had in mind - modern, clean, fresh, just what these "watery" fabrics called for.  However, on closer examination I realized the pattern was designed to make efficient use of jelly roll strips and strip piecing, while I would be using fat quarters augmented with some scraps.  So I changed the construction technique while maintaining the overall look of the block.  It worked out well for me and I would make this again with a different combination of fabric. 

I've been focusing this week on finishing up some odds and ends so I can start a new project that really excites me.  More about that when I really start.  Have a fun-filled and relaxing weekend. 

2 comments:

  1. This quilt is gorgeous! The perfect summer quilt! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty!! I love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.