Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What A Difference The Fabric Makes

Pennington Quilt Works, my local quilt fabric shop, holds an annual Holiday Open House at which they unveil their Christmas and winter-themed projects and kits.  I usually end up buying at least one pattern or kit, if not more.  The quilt that grabbed by attention this year is this one:



Each block used a different neutral fabric plus a green fabric for the very narrow bars (only 1/4" wide finished!).  Neat for Christmas but can be used year 'round.  Here's the kicker:  the quilt was made using this pattern called Ripple.


It looks so different!  The original for the pattern was made using blue and green batiks.  Now, I don't always make patterns exactly as shown, often coming up with my own color scheme.  For Ripple, I might come up with different color combinations (purple and fuschia, green and brown) but I doubt I would think to make it in quite so different a fashion.  This is something I'd like to work on, seeing expanded possibilities for patterns and blocks I like.

Of course, I bought the pattern!

Ripple is from Blue Underground Studios.  Check out their website, where they showcase their "cutting edge patterns for the modern quilter."




2 comments:

  1. Cathy, this is just my absolute most favorite thing about quilting, when someone takes a pattern and makes it look completely different just by changing the fabric! In a million years I would have never taken that pattern and made that cream and green quilt. I think it would also look good in cream with red and green. What a great post, thanks for sharing. I hope you have more pictures of the Holiday Open House. You're so lucky to have such a nice shop in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to come down and see this quilt in person I LOVE it and love that they made it look so different then the pattern.
    I haven't been to Pennington in a few years sorry to say.
    I need a trip there soon
    kathie

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.