Sunday, June 2, 2013

Scrap Basket Sunday - Week 8

I was too busy to join in Scrap Basket Sunday last week. Instead, I was at Miss Main Street's high school graduation ceremony.  Here she is with her diploma and Mr. Main Street.  (Mr. Main teaches at the same school and the teachers wear academic gowns for the ceremony.)

 
And just a few days prior to graduation, we had this exciting event:  prom!


But now I'm back in the groove, nearing the finish of my scrappy Lemoyne stars project.   


Remember the stars?  I need to make about 10 more but in the meantime, I've been pondering the setting.  I originally planned to do something simple; either alternate star blocks with plain blocks or set the star blocks in vertical rows with wide sashing of the background fabric between the rows and for the borders.  Then I found some fabric in my stash that ignited another idea.

 
What if I set the star blocks on point, in vertical rows with setting triangles from the background fabric, with sashing made from this border stripe from the Lumiere de Noel line by French General? 
 
I have this border stripe in two colors.  The lighter color is a perfect color match for the colors in the  background fabric I used.  At first I thought it would be perfect, then I tried the darker shade and I think that is even better.   
 


 
The light shade tends to disappear while the darker one provides contrast without overpowering the stars.  Any opinions?
 



For more scrappy projects, visit the other Scrap Basket Sunday participants over at Kim's blog.


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the big day and the graduate! That is such an amazing milestone. I'm still enjoying looking at your stars. I do like the border stripe! I think the more subtle one is my favorite--at least from the photos. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to your beautiful daughter on Prom and especially graduation.

    I love your Lemoyne stars and your layout on-point. Both settings would look beautiful but I prefer the lighter fabric border. I think it would compliment your blocks without drawing attention away from then. (purely personal preference)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on such a special day. Moments to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I also like the lighter border stripe, but I might play around with a darker fabric for the setting triangles. Or maybe use the lighter border stripe with a straight block set. However you set them, though, I think they'll be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your Le Moynes and look forward to seeing how you finish them...hard choice as both stripes look good and achieve different looks - depends what you are after I guess!! Sorry my comment is no help at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. May is so busy - congrats on the graduate and all that goes with it! I've got one more year with my youngest...

    I'll be curious to see how you finish these gorgeous blocks. I love the border stripe fabrics, will there be an inner border to separate them with some color?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.