Monday, August 5, 2013

Quick Curve Ruler

My new project uses the Quick Curve Ruler designed by Jenny Pedigo.  It looks like a regular quilting ruler for rotary cutting except it has a curved shape printed on it and a curved channel that the rotary blade fits into to cut the curved shapes.  And I'm using one of her patterns, called Metro Waves

Jenny's blog, SewKindofWonderful, has lots of examples of quilts made using the ruler, as well as her tutorials for cutting and sewing.  She makes it look easy but I thought I better test it out before cutting into my precious Paris Flea Market fabric stash.  First, I cut the curved pieces.


 
The markings on the ruler combined with the groove for the rotary cutter make it very easy.  Then I sewed them together.  Jenny's technique does not use any pins.  I was skeptical but it worked out just fine.  I got the hang of it pretty fast, worked up a rhythm, and got several curves sewn together in no time.  And after trimming, I sewed the rows together.  The seams lined up perfectly.


This is my test block.  But enough testing; it's time to move on to the real thing!

If this works out well, I see a double wedding ring quilt in my future.

2 comments:

  1. I love Jenny's blog and all the amazing blocks she makes with that curves ruler. I've had mine for over a year now and have yet to make anything, not even a sample block. Good Luck with your project, I'm sure you'll motivate me to give this ruler a try. Although, I've still not finished my pineapple quilt that I started after seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Jenny's ruler and have used it for two projects. I'm looking forward to seeing your version of DWR using the curved ruler.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.