Monday, January 13, 2014

Extraordinary Log Cabin Quilts - Book Review

I have several books by Judy Martin (I think I've mentioned Patchwork Among Friends and Stellar Quilts here).  They are absolutely wonderful to look at; somewhat intimidating to tackle.  Judy says, "I aim to make memorable quilts."  She is not interested in making simple quilts.  Her designs tend to be quite complex, requiring excellent cutting and piecing skills to achieve the accuracy required.  Her books do include a lot of "how-to" information though.  There is also a section on color and value in this book, Extraordinary Log Cabin Quilts. 

 
I've been thinking about making a log cabin quilt using my Fig Tree fabric and am tempted to try one of the "beyond basic" designs from this new book.  I like Main Street Log Cabin (if only for the name!); it's the version with the stars shown at the top of the book cover.  I also like this quilt shown inside the cover.  It is called Paducah Log Cabin.



And I love this third version, called Grandpa's Log Cabin.  The piecing creates a basket weave effect.


Though labor intensive, the directions for each project are more than complete.  Each design is rated for how difficult it is.  A photo of the full size quilt is included, along with several photos showing alternative fabric choices and drawings showing alternative settings for the blocks.  Cutting, sewing, and pressing instructions are included.  Judy even provides tips for organizing your component parts as you progress. 

If you want to tackle a quilt that is far from ordinary, Extraordinary Log Cabin Quilts is a good place to start.  And any of Judy Martin's books will provide you with plenty of inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow what a great looking book! And your log cabin blocks are just beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished quilt!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.