Friday, December 26, 2014

Brownstone - Last Finish of 2014

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.  We had a quiet one here on Main Street because part of our extended family was in Florida and part in Puerto Rico for the holiday.  We decided to stay at home and had a lovely day, just the three of us plus dogs. 

I'm unveiling Brownstone, sure to be my last finished quilt of 2014. 


Mr. Main Street is my quilt holder while Dillie the Corgi photo bombs.

I finished piecing this curved log cabin quilt back in March but the quilting part was delayed while my long-armer moved south.  I finished the binding and labeling last weekend but needed a day without clouds and rain to take a good photo. 

Brownstone is 72" square (the blocks are 9").  The curved effect is achieved by making the pieces on the light side narrower than the pieces on the dark side.  Despite being all straight line piecing, you get this curved look to the blocks.  I blogged the how-to in February, here.




I used my stash of Fig Tree fabrics from Moda.  I like the look of the light side so much I am thinking of making a whole quilt from the light neutrals that remain in my Fig Tree stash.  I just need to come up with a design. 


 
Karen Thompson quilted Brownstone using a panto design of swirls.  I think the quilting design works well with this block. 
 
I have a few days off work over the holiday and have already started my next project!  Of course!
 

3 comments:

  1. I remember this project from when you were pieceing it. It is marvelous. I was thinking it would be fun to do a quilt with just the lights from my French General fabrics, so if you come up with a pattern for your light Fig Tree, I hope you share it. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also remember when you made this AMAZING quilt ! Congrats on a grey finish :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!!! And have you seen the Tone It Down quilt? It would be great for your neutrals. It was in American Patchwork and Quilting last year, I believe. And I think that Lissa Alexander designed it and hosted a quilt a long. Have a great 2015!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.