Thursday, October 27, 2016

Colorway Pattern

I have my next project picked out.  Like I need one; I have at least five projects in various stages of completion (or un-completion) already.  But anyway...


It is Colorway, a new pattern by Camille Roskelly of Thimbleblossoms.  I saw it online and liked it in the Bonnie and Camille fabrics, but for my version, I will use these batiks in shades of blue and green.  The close-up of the jelly roll, below, gives you a better idea of the range of colors. 


The pattern calls for a layer cake and a jelly roll, plus background fabric.  When I bought the fabric and the pattern, I thought I would use a text fabric as the background.  I had the idea that the centers of the circles would be one piece of fabric.  However, after reading through the pattern, I see they are made up of seven pieces (which actually makes more sense when your think about constructing it) and I think that won't look so good in a directional print like a text print.  So I am considering either 1) using the text prints in place of the jelly roll with a white background, or 2) forgetting the text print altogether and using the batiks with solid white (or another color) background.

What's your advice?


 photo signature_zps7mcw44cc.png

6 comments:

  1. I'd go with those beautiful batiks and a white background. There's a lovely cream white batik by Cantik Batiks called White Sugar that I would recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use the text for the backing, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think those batiks are so gorgeous I'd be itching to use them right away. But, not my quilt/project. I don't think text on the front has a great home. JMO, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the visual spinning of the blossoms is enough motion in the quilt top... so, the text print is probably not going to work with this pattern. As suggested in the second comment... perhaps the text print is a good idea for the backing? Have fun with this! Great pattern and beautiful blue batiks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. either way works and comes down to how much you like contrast with your "color way" Cathy. Can't wait to see how you decide on this and nice colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'd save the text fabric for another project. Those batiks are great. I'd let them be the star of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.